Negotiation Tactics for Managers:
- Know the top range of what you’re willing to pay for the position. Go into a negotiation setting with a clear number in mind.
- Be familiar with the market. It’s important to know what other companies are paying similar employees with similar experience. You want to be competitive and fair in your offer.
- Listen to what the individual has to say in their asking for a higher salary. If they provide specific examples of initiative or how they have helped to contribute directly to the bottom line, hear them out and consider the request.
- If the request is out of range, consider offering other benefits such as additional health coverage, cell phone or other stipends or more paid time off.
- Remember, if you can’t afford the person you’re negotiating with that you can always go back to the talent pool to find someone in your range.