Have an opinion about who will win the Superbowl? Put it on Facebook! What’s for lunch? Instagram it! Social media touches every aspect of our lives today. Professionally, if LinkedIn is the only career social media tool you’re using, it’s time to reconsider! I’m a big fan of using Twitter to find your next job.
The fact is, companies worldwide have clued in to sharing open positions via Twitter. Typically they will have a link to a more descriptive job description elsewhere, but the title and hook will be in the tweet. I have placed several candidates who initially clicked on a job link I first shared on Twitter.
Below are 7 tips I like to share with my clients on using Twitter for job search purposes:
1. Ensure your profile is updated, with a current, professional picture. Include a link to your resume and/or LinkedIn profile in your bio.
2. Download Twitter on your smartphone so that you can access your account anytime. This is useful during networking events where you can follow someone you just made a personal connection with.
3. If you use Twitter for personal use, it’s best to create a separate account specifically for business. Potential employers can see your previous Tweets and may not be impressed if you’re Tweeting about whether or not Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez are back together!
4. Follow leaders and influencers in your specific industry. Not just people but even companies that you are interested in.
5. Ask intelligent questions within your network and share relevant articles that will benefit your network and create a positive and professional profile for yourself. Follow trends and/or hashtags within your industry and chime in on conversations.
6. Actively search for jobs in your area using the search tool. You can view and apply for jobs directly through your Twitter account.
7. Download the free app TweetDeck to have all of your Twitter accounts in one interface. It can also help you categorize the people you follow.
Have you used Twitter for job searches? Share your experiences and best practices in the comments below!